Anybody that has started collecting kitchen scraps under there sinks or on their countertop in some kind of plastic bucket knows of the problem associated with collecting future garden enriching compost.
I have personally used a 1/2 gallon bucket and an old laundry detergent container with less than stellar results. Smell and fruit flies. I was quite pleased with the number of bins available on Amazon and found a suitable bin there and thought it was a great idea to write about.
The smells…The gnats…Real negatives for where you prepare food.
Composting kitchen scraps is a really worthy cause and purchasing the right compost bin will effectively eliminate any of the above-stated problems with collection. In this post, I will recommend from my research, the best compost bin for the kitchen.
Why Should You Compost Kitchen Scraps?
Before we get into the list, I would like to share a little information on the importance of composting.
Think about it for a second.
If we take nutrient-rich foods that have spoiled which were grown on rich nutrient-rich soil and just discard them into the local landfill. The food that the farmer has carefully watered, fertilized (hopefully organic), and cared for and just throw it out with garbage. We are in effect stealing the nutrients from one place on the earth to simply bury in our local landfill, thereby wasting and stopping the natural cycle. Missing out on increasing the yield of our own garden. A truly wasted resource.
We are taking hard fought for nutrients and minerals and just disregarding them taking them out of the cycle by burying them deep within the earth. This is a real soil problem. This is a big problem that for the most part, is unknown or not thought about.
You might already know of this problem but recycling your kitchen scraps into your compost benefits your garden and flowers and in the end YOU. Let us not forget the earth as well.
Having a compost bin in the kitchen makes it easier to collect kitchen waste without constantly going outside.
What To Compost
- All vegetables. Skins, seeds, rinds, cores, seeds. Doesn’t matter how moldy or disgusting it looks.
- All fruit wastes. Same as above
- Coffee grounds, loose leaf tea, tea bags and even filters.
- Egg shells. Works better if you break them up into smaller pieces.
What NOT To Compost
- Meats and bones.
- No grease or oils.
- No dairy products.
Don’t want to compost?
A simple solution.
Even if you don’t compost you can increase your soils nutrient levels by simply digging a hole in your yard and burying the kitchen scraps. Then cover the whole back up. Give the newly added kitchen scraps time to break down naturally before planting.
This is called soil incorporation or trench composting.
Some Thoughts About Purchasing The Right Compost Bin For You
Some general ideas to help you decide what countertop compost bin is best for you.
Having the right size bin will dramatically increase the pleasure of owning a bin. If you buy a too small bin for your household you will be annoyed after a few weeks of constantly having to empty the bin. If you buy a too big unit it might be harder for you to handle depending on your strength level.
These countertop compost bins come in various sizes. From 3/4 of a gallon up to 2.4 gallons. Pick a size for the size of your family.
Even if your bin is odor free and doesn’t allow fruit flies in, it should be cleaned with warm water and soap after every dumping to ensure cleanliness. Stainless steel is the easiest to clean and won’t retain any odors after cleaning.
Do you plan on storing your container on the countertop or under the sink?
If on top of the counter, try to find something that is appealing to you, as well, as matching your decor. You don’t want an eyesore in your kitchen.
OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Compost Bin, Gray
This bin holds about 3/4 of a gallon of waste. The dimensions of this OXO bin is 7 X 7 X 7 and weighs about 1 1/4 pounds. This is mostly for having it sit on your countertop, but can be used under the counter as well.
- 3/4 gallons storage.
- No ventilation holes, this is designed to lock odors in.
- No need for filters.
- Smooth interior for easy cleanup.
- A great lid that easily flips up and stays up. Also removable when dumping into compost.
- On the smaller size, of bins.
- Can be used with biodegradable bags.
- Dishwasher safe for top rack cleaning.
- Easy to carry.
- Good color to avoid showing stains.
This bin holds about 1 1/4 gallon of material. The dimensions of this bin are 7 X 6.2 X 9 inches and come in at 2.5 pounds. This also comes with 2 charcoal dishwasher-safe odor filters.
An attractive looking bin that is available in two colors, as this would look nice placed on a countertop. This effectively controls odors and insects with filters and a lid.
- Filters are dishwasher safe.
- The handle and container are made from bamboo fiber.
- Looks great and can easily be stored on top of the counter.
- Comes in two colors, natural and graphite.
- Lid easily comes off with one hand.
- Rinses out easily.
The dimensions of this Full Circle bin is 11.4 X 8.5 X 9 inches and weighs 1.4 pounds. This holds 1.5 gallons of scraps.
This bin allows for oxygen to freely move in and around your kitchen waste to help stop decomposition, which relates to less stink. Yeah! This system uses compostable bags, as you need them to store your scraps, due to the ventilation located at the bottom.
- Allow air to naturally circulate to help prevent decomposition and smell.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Made from BPA-free recycled plastic.
- Opens with a simple push of a button.
- Cleans easily.
- Comes with five compostable bags.
- Needs compostable bags to use this bin.
- The plastic bag may take a long time to decompose in compost.
- No filter.
Exaco ECO-2000 2.4 Gallon Kitchen Compost Waste Collector
The exact dimensions of this Exaco bin are 8.5 X 9 X 11 inches and it weighs 1.4 pounds.
This is the bin I purchased from Amazon and I just love it. Goodbye smells and flies. Hello, easy collection and doesn’t require constant emptying. As this holds a whopping 2.4 gallons.
This bin can be used with compostable bags or without. I use it without, as it seems to clean very easily. This has a carbon filter located on the top of the bin which controls smells, flies, and allows air to get in (which is a good thing). The lid closes securely with a snap and can be operated with one hand.
- Can be easily mounted inside of cabinet or wall, as it has notches located on the back of the bin.
- Largest container, coming in at 2.4 gallons.
- Cheap price.
- One hand opening of the lid that snaps shut.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Comes with one filter that is 3.5″ X 3.5″.
- Filter changes are recommended every 3 months.
- The lid does come off for easy cleaning.
- Great Amazon ratings.
- Not the best looking of the bunch but I wanted functionality. I keep it under the kitchen sink.
The Linkyo bin dimensions are 7.8 X 7.8 X 11.2 inches and weigh 2.5 pounds empty. This will hold 1 gallon of bin waste.
Made from 304 stainless steel which allows easy clean-up and will not rust on you. It comes with 4 filters to avoid the smells and flies. Good looking enough to leave on the countertop. The handle is secure and allows for easy carrying.
- Comes with 4 free Odor-Neutralizing Filters (good for up to 12 months).
- Stainless Steel – super easy clean-up, or retain odor, and won’t rust.
- Stylish enough to place on a countertop or even in a cabinet.
- Good price point.
- 1 Piece construction with no seams.
- Filter replacement is recommended every 2-3 months.
- Can use compost liner bags with this.
- Can be turned to the other side to not show the Linkyo name.
- Surely last a long time.
Do you have any questions about containers or want to recommend one? Please do so below. Thanks!Share This: